Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Joy Ride

The Guilty Party
You wonder about those parents... now, I am one. I had started getting the little kids outside to go run errands, but lexsie needed to go potty so I stopped to take her. About the time I was getting ready to head out the door I hear the neighbor yell, 'call 911.' My first thought was that it was one of the construction workers across the street using the saw I could hear. Then I saw a green suburban in the neighbors yard. It took a few seconds to realize that was MY suburban. My next thought was 'Quinn.' I yelled to Craig (who was sleeping) still not sure what the problem was but thinking at this point Quinn had been run over. I see my neighbor jumping into the front of my car, I grab lexsie and take off after Craig. After all of our hearts stopped racing... we concluded that Quinn had gotten my car keys, put them in the ignition, turn it on, managed to push the break and pull down the gear shift to put it into neutral. Then he rolled backwards down our driveway, jumped our curb (which is about 6 inches tall - and has stopped me more than once) backed into the next door neighbors house which left only a small scratch, started going forward, went up a small embankment over the road, missed a huge boulder, made it between the two houses and stopped just before hitting a utility pole. The more I think about it the more amazed I am. Quinn is fine. The car is fine. The house is fine. The construction workers are fine. Quinn told me I was taking too long and that he wanted to go. Even though it has been several hours... I am still shaking! Thank goodness for everything being OK. Thank goodness for our neighbors, thank goodness Craig was home (not sure I could have handled this one alone) and thank goodness for Heavenly Father watching out for this little guy! And now that a day or two has passed - wish me luck with this boy as a teenager!

Does he look guilty?

4 comments:

jayne said...

Wow. I don't know what else to say but Wow. You have one lucky little boy who is obviously watched out for. And you are one lucky mom who is very obviously watched out for. I'm dreading the day this happens in our house. (I'm afraid it's bound to happen with at least one of my kids!)

Lani said...

It's hard to believe he's big enough to be doing such a thing. Glad it all turned out OK!

Anonymous said...

This is Quinns gramma! and I have this vision of MANY angels fluttering all around that car as Quinn sped down the hill! saying "Push the car here!" "Pull it around the boulder!" "Watch out for that worker!" "Look out for the utility pole!" and afterwards, they all went to the closest bar and had a....nice cold lemonade!!!!! Thank you, Heavenly Father, for watching over my little Quinner.....

nicole said...

Holy cow! I will now be rethinking telling my kiddos to get in the car and wait for me(because honestly this could have very well happened to me)