Saturday, November 28, 2009

Aren't I as good as a Handicapped Person

Let me first say that I had a great trip! Next, let me say how disappointed in society I am. Let's just say there was a blind man taking a trip on an airplane somewhere. Most people would be helpful and at least kind. If the man bumped another persons chair they would accept his apology, the ticketing agents would probably go out of their way to be helpful, get the man to the gate, on the plane, sat in his chair, and may even offer to bring him a drink as the time came. As we checked in - our ticketing agent looked at us and said, 'all these kids?' OK just clarifying the situation, right? then when she asked for Craig's ID and he said, no he wasn't going she huffed! can you believe it! she actually huffed! of course I make a wise crack about this is my everyday life and no different than anything else I do with all 5 kids by myself, but she still huffed. as we walked to our gate you could see everyone counting the kids I had following behind, but whatever... Then you should have seen the dirty looks I was getting from people as I walked down the isle to our seats. As we approached our seat the lady in front of us (before we had even sat down) turns around and says, "I'm all about kids, but I won't be kicked during this entire flight! do you understand me? she looks at poor, stoic kaid (who had done nothing) and says, does he understand me?" are you kidding me he's not deaf? so we fly, the kids were exceptionally well behaved, caused no problems (less than some adults I would imagine) and we exited the plane. Of course the return trip wasn't any better, I had comments about 'you know how this happens right?' 'how many kids do you have' and 'why on earth would you travel with so many kids alone?' I have done my fair share of flying in the past - usually with 1 or 2 kids and people have been kind, and helpful, offering assistance, and even sharing stories of traveling with their kids. Nope, all I got was dirty looks and snide comments for the audacity of buying 6 plane tickets and taking children with me! I guess having a large family is worse than being handicapped!




All I can think of - since my return home - is this sweet story from an old ensign.

Many already know part of this story. It occurred a few years ago in the winter at O’Hare International Airport, that great and busy place that serves the city of Chicago. On this occasion a severe storm had caused delays and cancellations of flights. The thousands of people stranded or delayed there were impatient and cross and irritable. Among those in trouble was a woman, a young mother standing in a long line at the check-in counter. She had a two-year-old child who was on the dirty floor at her feet. She was pregnant with another child. She was sick and weary to the bone. Her doctor had warned her against bending and picking up anything heavy, so as she moved slowly with the line she pushed her crying and hungry child with her foot. People who saw her made critical and cutting remarks, but none offered to help.
Then a man came toward her and with a smile of kindness on his face said, “You need help. Let me help you.” He lifted the dirty, crying child from the floor and held her warmly in his arms. Taking a stick of gum from his pocket, he gave it to the child. Its sweet taste calmed her. He explained to those in the line the woman’s need of help, then took her to the head of the line, spoke with the ticket agent, and soon had her checked in. He then found seats where she and her child could be comfortable, chatted for a moment, and disappeared into the crowd without giving his name. She went on her way to her home in Michigan.
Years later there came to the office of the President of the Church a letter which reads as follows:
“Dear President Kimball:
“I am a student at Brigham Young University. I have just returned from my mission in Munich, West Germany. I had a lovely mission and learned much. …
“I was sitting in priesthood meeting last week, when a story was told of a loving service which you performed some twenty-one years ago in the Chicago airport. The story told of how you met a young pregnant mother with a … screaming child, in … distress, waiting in a long line for her tickets. She was threatening miscarriage and therefore couldn’t lift her child to comfort her. She had experienced four previous miscarriages, which gave added reason for the doctor’s orders not to bend or lift.
“You comforted the crying child and explained the dilemma to the other passengers in line. This act of love took the strain and tension off my mother. I was born a few months later in Flint, Michigan.
“I just want to thank you for your love. Thank you for your example!”
The world truly would be a different place if each of us frequently and seriously considered our Lord’s request: “Whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.” (Matt. 7:12.)

I hope I can always remember to not judge and to just look for ways to be kind and helpful~

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I once had a guy make a really rude comment about one of my kids and they actually taxied back to the gate and kicked him off!!!

DeGooyer Family said...

Love that story. And I need to say that YOU are a GREAT mom. =)

Lani said...

You are so right, 1 or 2 kids is perfectly acceptable to people, but I get plenty of looks and comments whenever I have all 3 with me. I love that story, one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

You're such a lovely mother!!I likes your story~thx for sharing...