Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What happened to me?

I was just cruisin' blogs and I saw all the cute 4th pictures and matching festive outfits and the nice artwork on the blogs and people who made it to parades and took pictures of the events and I couldn't help but wonder...what happened?

I remember when my kids had outfits for the appropriate holiday (ya know red, white, and blue in the right shades for the 4th - (the kids that match aren't mine and mine that matches is because my friend bought a dress for Anna to match her girls.)
I remember when I combed and meticulously did the girls hair every day with matching bows - now it's 'does anyone have a bottle of water - this kid has a rat's nest in the back of her head' (while in the parking lot needing to go in where ever it is we are)

I remember when my kids had 'church shoes' and now it has happened more than once that my kid (kaid) has ended up at church with no shoes (church still has to take us)

I remember when I was never late - now I'm screaming in the parking lots of everywhere we go to tell the kids 'RUN! We're late!!'

I remember when I brushed my teeth every morning. Now I just get it done most days. Ewww

I remember when all the people in my family, extended family and friends got home made birthday cards. Now I'm thinking of skipping Lexsie's birthday (next week) because she's only turning 1 - she won't know.

I remember date night -swapping with other couples - no one wants to swap anymore - I'm not sure if it's because they don't want all of my kids or because they don't trust me with theirs.

I remember having money - enough said.

I remember when I didn't need to go to the gym

I remember when it didn't take up 3 hours of my day to go to the gym

I remember going to the grocery store with a list, not forgetting anything on my list, and knowing how much it was all going to cost (down to the dollar). Now I'm buying gallons of milk at the gas station - for a low, low fee - because I forgot it at the store.

I remember filling up with gas every Tuesday. Now I know why they have a 'low fuel indicator'

I remember when my mother complimented me for cleaning my car out every time I got out so it always stayed clean. Yeah, now just look...
I remember when all my canned goods where alphabetized, labels out, date purchased written on top (yeah I was like that).

I remember when I scoffed at parents who missed/were late/ ill-prepared for the t-ball game. Yeah, totally had the wrong date and time of Kaids this week. Good thing ice cream soothes all wounds...


I remember - I sigh - I know intellectually it's possible - I know alpabatized soup cans have nothing to do with my eternal salvation - but still....


3 comments:

Sarah said...

Please note the family pic on your blog where all of your kids match....and don't make fun of me for having church shoes!!!

jayne said...

I remember all of those too. And my kids didn't even wear any kind of festive decor this year either. I'm officially declaring it "the year I got real". It makes me feel better. This post also made me feel better. It must be that this just happens with 5 kids, right? And I'm impressed you were just "considering" not celebrating your 1 year olds birthday. I stopped that 2 kids ago....

Lani said...

Great post, I feel that way too with just the three. I expected it to get easier after the first year, like it did after Andrew's first year. But, it just keeps getting more chaotic, with fewer things done the way I would like to have them done. Oh well