Thursday, September 3, 2009

Now you know my opinion

I admit I have gotten a lot more politically aware recently and to those who converse with me on a regular basis know that I am not a fan of our current president - but this really disturbs me.

On Tues, Sept 8 at noon he will be addressing the school children in the nation. It disturbs me because
  • 1. He is the only president in our nations history who feels he needs to 'sell' himself to our young children. (No other president has had a press conference directed only to the children before) and
  • 2. He is doing it in relative secrecy. I know in our school district when the superintendent was contacted he know nothing of this press conference and yet all the teachers had been 'encouraged' to show the speech on TV (via teachers union email).
  • 3. He has provided a discussion 'guide' for his speech which includes leading questions such as:

Why is it important that we listen to the president and other elected officials?

Why is what they say important?

What new ideas and actions is the president challenging me to think about?

Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?

  • 4. He wants the youth to make a video and submit them for a contest telling others how his speech has inspired them.

All under the guise of 'helping our children become all they can be' Isn't that our jobs as parents? To instill a of love of learning, to teach right from wrong, to give our kids a moral compass? When did it become the governments job to do these things for our families and children? You can read his 'advertisement' here http://www.ed.gov/

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you!! I couldn't agree more..He is trying to sell his propaganda to the most innocent and moldable minds in this society in hopes to turn them into mindless robots like the ones who voted him in office! YUCK!

nicole said...

WOW is all I can say- I think for the first time I'm actually glad my kids won't be starting school until the 9th/15th for Kindy.I am appalled at this man's audacity.